Sunday, May 24, 2009

When do you find/make time to Stamp / Craft??? - My time has gone Poof Bye Bye!!!

Hi Everyone,
.......
I just wanted to conduct a survey on when all my friendly stampers make time to stamp??
.......
With Summer Vacation now in full effect here in Kansas and my 1 year old (22 months) who is into everything and everywhere these days I seem to have less and less time to stamp/visit blogs/comment/ play along with stamping stuff. I was just wondering when you find the time or make the time to craft as I seem to have much less time for this these days.
.......
When I first started my blog back in Mid September 2008 I was specifically carving out time for stamping/making cards/gifts/scrapbook pages ect... I always made time in the mornings or the afternoon depending on the day. I was playing in several Split Coast Stampers challenges a week. I posted at least every day if not twice a day or at least never missed more than a day or two a week. Now I am lucky to get a project done and posted 3 times a week!!!
.......
Fast forward to May 2009. It now seems I can rarely find the time to carve out to stamp/ craft. Maybe this will get better now that it is summer and I am not running in a million directions each day with Pre-School and all that other stuff. Also I think back in September my 1 year old was taking more than 1 nap a day and that helped.
.......
These days I find my stamping/ craft time relegated to after 10pm at night after everyone is in bed and Mommy and Daddy have had some time to talk and reconnect for the day. The problem is by then I am lately (did not used to be) just plain to tired to stamp/ craft!!!
.......
If I do stamp/ craft then I rarely have it in me to stamp/ craft then take pictures edit them and post them before bed so I can not get my posts up as early as I used to have them posted.
......
It seems like when I was making the time or finding the time I felt better all around about life in general and had much more energy. I have now not uploaded a card to SCS in 5 months not played in any challenges or anything like that. I know lots of crafters are slowing down these days too, but I just wondered what your routines are??? I think if I could find a way to get back into the swing of things I would be better all around with life in general.
.......
I know that part of why I lost the time to do any SCS stuff was when I started meeting and taking time to comment on other amazingly talented stampers blogs and such but lately my time to do that has gone mostly bye bye too!!! LOL!!!! Also getting on some Design Teams and such also took away from the SCS time I was using.
........
So Help a girl out and give me some tips and tricks for how you fit stamping/ crafting into your lifes????
.......
Heather

14 comments:

~*Joni said...

Oh Heather! It's totally understandable that routines change, so therefore, MOMMY's have to change with it. :D Funny how that works, huh? I've had to adjust to different schedules throughout the year, and will have to do it again once summer starts here in 3 weeks for us. Right now I wake up at 6am to have some me time. Then I am in my craft room during the day while the baby is napping and the 2 girls are having quiet time. And then I get back in there right when the little ones go down (about 8:30-ish) and put in an hour or so, just so I can get back in and hang out with DH for the rest of the night. One thing that I have to do though, is plan everything out in my head otherwise I sit at my table and find the minutes tick away while I try to get a layout together. HTH! And btw, from the looks of your cards, it seems as if you have oodles of time to get them together as they are all so gorgeous!

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

I have three boys...8, 3, 3! My 3 year olds take up alot of time, but they still nap! (YAY) I do a lot of my stamping when they nap. I also will do things after they go to bed at night, but have to be careful, because hubby gets jealous! LOL! I take my 3 year olds to my babysitter once a week so that I can have a day for myself. I felt guilty about this at first, but not anymore! It is great for them to be around someone other than mommy and very good for my mental health!
HTH!
I hope your kiddos are all feeling better, too!
-Emily

Stef H (Glitterbabe) said...

Awww sweetie. Don't fret about anything. Your kids & family is more important than crafting. We know you're here and even just posting about your day without crafting is always nice to read.

Since I started blogging, I haven't done any SCS challenges either - and I used to do them EVERYDAY!!!! I'm retired and have all the time in the world on my hands, but I follow over 100 blogs and I make it a point to comment on each one so they know I'm there for them. Not to mention I love seeing what they've done! And ya know what? It takes me over 3 hours just to do that! Now with the nice weather coming, all our time is limited. But know that we're all still here when you get back.

Hugs,

Kimmie0270 said...

Heather - as you can tell based on the fact I cutback on DTs and my blog is getting very few hits these days due to my less frequent posting I don't have time anymore. My kids are tying up all my free time. I have no idea how to get stamping/scrapping back into my life with as much time as I used to devote to it. I'd love for you to do a follow-up post with the best tips out there!

Margie said...

Awww, I know exactly what you're going through! Everyday I have to make a choice - do I scrap? do I visit/comment other blogs? should I let myself have an extra hour of sleep? lol! It's busy for us SAHM's! Just have to do what makes us happy ;) My new schedule is scrapping after my boys are in bed and computer time in the morning after I drop my oldest off at school and my lil guy watches a Disney movie ;) When school ends next month - I don't know what my schedule will be like, lol!
Wish you the best :*)

Tonya said...

I wish I could be more help but I am a SAHM of 2 girls which are 15 and 9, so my days are completely free from Mommy duties until they get home. When my girls were little I just stole time when ever I could find it. It is hard when the kids are little. You could set a schedule.....craft this day, blog hop this day etc.
You will find your own groove and it gets easier as the kids get older. >:0) One thing to remember.......it is important to find time for YOU!

Jackie said...

Hi Heather!
I too completely understand everything you're going through even though my schedule is a bit different than yours.

I've found that when the kiddos are in school, my time is totally taken up whether it be for school functions or them being sick all the time! It's much easier for me when school gets out as long as there isn't a Holiday or anything where I have to cook LOL!

I hope the rest of your weekend is great and that everyone is healthy soon!
Hugs & Love
Jackie

Holly said...

I think we all have the same feelings as you Heather. So many things pulling at us. The only words of advice I can give you are just to grab the time when you can.

Maria said...

Hey Heather! I hear ya'! It's tough to find time to craft with life being so busy and all!

I don't have little kiddies so I can imagine why you can't find the time but in my case, I don't like to be isolated in my craft room and I have so many other interest.

I try to fit in at least an hour at least 4 days a week to card making. Some days I'll make more than one card and I'll save them for rainy days when I don't craft. That has been helping me. I don't try to post all my cards at once.

As for commenting. . I think that's the most time consuming for me. I try to do it on my lap top while watching TV with my family rather than in my craft room. I have a desk-top in my craft room but unless my family aren't doing anything, I mainly comment from my lap top.

I try to comment the people who comment me first as my way of acknowledging them then when I have the time, I'll comment the DT ladies then work my way up to everyone else. LOL! I rarely go beyond that.

I hope you'll find time to craft but don't turn it into a "job". . it's no fun when it becomes work. Just find time to create when you can enjoy the process. There's no hard fast rule that says you have to post daily!! If you can do 3 days a week, that's good too!!

Hope you have a wonderful memorial day with your family!

Maria

Emily said...

I know that you already know any tip I have.the only thing I can think of is to have your husband watch the kids for a few hours and stamp away...by watching them I mean all 3 of them!!! Hang in girl!!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

I know how you feel about time for stamping. I homeschool my girls and that takes a tremendous amount of time. I find that I make my creations at 4 a.m. before the girls get up at 7 and at 9 p.m. after they have gone to sleep although since my girls are not good sleepers that is interupted stamp time because I am constantly trying to get them to stop chatting and go to sleep. Most days those times work for me but after a while the lack of sleep gets to me and I need to take a break. You know we are here for you! You don't need to post something everyday! Take care of you girl!!
hugs,
Chris

Tanya said...

:) Yep, I think we all undersatnd this issue. And yes, it changes all the time, becuase our kids are constantly changing interests and growing and thus changing schedules and so on and so on.
For me, I did used to craft when my kid(s) were napping, but that hasn't happened (other than sickness) in a long time.
Now I have basically two options...I can craft after they're in bed, which can take a while depending on teh day, or I can bring things in the living room area while they watch tv/movie and I get work done. that works best if I'm working on thier scrapbooks, lol. They want to see what I will do with their pictures so they let me get it done.
I also try to work really fast so I can get as much done as possible.

Summerthyme Studio said...

Heather, your colouring is AMAZING!!!!! WOW!!!

Rebecca Ednie said...

I have the same problems. People always complain about newborns and very young babies. I never understood why because mine slept a lot and I got tons done. Now I snatch a few minutes when DH comes home from work basically between 8:30 and 9:30 or 10 if he can stay awake. I rarely stamp during the day but do occasionally when I get my 8 yo to watch the very active 2 yo. He is pretty good at it as long as he is in the mood and there is a reward at the end of it!! Some weekends I schedule time to stamp just like I would schedule time for going out, an appointment or anything else. DH watches the kids and they are NOT allowed to come into mommy's craft room or bug me. I still don't get as much done as i'd like. I can't work during his nap because he can tell when I am not around and wakes up. I hope it will get better when the little one is older and will listen to 'don't climb up on that' 'don't stick your fingers in the cat's mouth or he will bite you' etc.