Sunday, January 11, 2009

My First Attempt at Sewing since 7th Grade. A New Card of the Month Club along with some Cool Blog Candy!!!!

My First Card with Sewing on it!!!
Hello Everyone!!!
.......
How are you? Well I am worn out. I had the stomach flu last night and have been low on energy and achy all day, but I feel so much better than I did all through the night!!!
.......
Oh read below for some cool blog candy with a link, and a neat new Card of the Month Club too!!!
.......
I made this card tonight though along with getting started on some other cards that are time sensitive to when I can share them. So I can share this one now. This one is one of Pipers Stamps so she thinks the card should be for her, but it is actually a Thank you card for another stamper who recently sent me some Card Stock so I could play around to see what I like best!!!
.......
.......
I colored her in, and then felt there was way too much Yellow in the image, so I thought well if I do most of the rest of the card in lavender then maybe it will tone down all the yellow. I probably should have colored her Apron in Lavender with a Yellow pocket, but I did the apron before her hair so it did not seem like to much yellow at the time.
.......

I love these Sarah Kay images she does such cute drawings for her stamps!!!!
This little sweet heart reminds me so much of My little blonde's girls playing with their Dolls. As Piper just got a baby she can feed "real" doll food and she pees and poops in her diaper this image really fits them right now!!!! LOL

.......

So I colored her in and experimented for the first time with outlining my image with gray for the depth and shadow effect. I thought it was fun to do. Then I got out my new little sewing Machine. I got it at Jo Ann's last week it was 50% off so less than $20 It is supposed to sew anything from silk to Denim.
.......
Now I have not sewn anything on a machine since 7th Grade. I really did not even know how to thread the machine, and when it was sewing with out putting any thread through the image I had to call my good friend/next door neighbor/SU down line/Fellow Dazzling Diamonds Designs Member Tasha to help me figure out what was wrong. She walked me through it on the phone, and I got it working right.
.......
What did I learn from this???? When you have not sewn since 7th grade and have no idea what you are doing. Do Not attempt to sew on an already assembled card the first time you sew!!!!! LOL LOL!!!
.......
So I ended up pulling apart my card and sewing again on this one. However my sewing is still not totally straight or perfect, but it sort of fits because she is a patch work kind of image, so uneven sewing is sort of fitting!!!!

.......

So I mounted her on Lavender CS. That layer is poped up from the other layers with excess foam and rubber from my stamps, and then mounted that on a Lavender Flowered DSP layer I got some Yellow eyelets and put them on the lavender floral DSP layer. At first I was going to put them in the 4 corners and then I thought why not switch things up and put them in the middle of each side of the image. That layer is glued onto the Lavender layer with the sewing. The sewing layer is on a Yellow swirled DSP layer, and lastly a Regal Rose CS back.

.......

I got out some of my pretty Polka Dot gross grain ribbon and added some for some texture.

.......

Card Recipe:
.......
Papers: SU CS in Regal Rose, and Lavender Lace, Paper Trey Ink White CS, UID lavender and Yellow DSP's.
Stamps: Sarah Kay Margaux feeding baby, or as Piper thinks it is "Piper feeding her Dolly"
(for those of you who do not know Piper wanted "Piper" stamps for Christmas and I could not find any so I got her some cute Sara Kay images and wrote under the Sara Kay title Piper titles!!!)
Ink: Copics in RV00, RV04, BV00, BV02, Y00, Y02, Y06, E00, E51, E95, R00
Sorry I can not remember the brown tones!!! Memento Tuxedo Black Ink
Accessories: Yellow Polka Dot gross grain 1/4" ribbon, Yellow eyelets, White thread for sewing on the card. Sewing machine, and Crop-a-Dile
.......
Well last but not least I wanted to Alert you to some Blog Candy my friend you always hear about and who I mentioned helped me with the sewing. She is finally launching her Card of the Month Club she has been working on for 4 or 5 months already.
.......
There are 3 options you can just get the cards done and ready to send each month for $10 or there is an option to get all the supplies and the stamps set that go along with them to make your own cards, or if you live close enough you can come over and make them at her house.
To Celebrate getting her Card of the Month Club going, and her blogs 2,000 hits, and starting an exorcise program to help get healthy and feel better she is offering some very cool blog candy with several stamp sets ribbon, ink and more so hop on over to her blog and enter to win her Candy the dead line is Jan 18th, next Sunday!!! Tell her I said Hi!!!!
.......
Hope you enjoyed the card. Maybe I can get better at sewing soon!!!! LOL
.......
Have a Stampendous Sunday night and Monday Morning. I will be back tomorrow.
.......
Heather

13 comments:

Cathy said...

I think she's adorable! I love these images! I think your sewing is cute with the card.

Glad you're feeling better!

Hugs,
Cathy

Kimmie0270 said...

Sewing is such a fun technique for a card - though I often "cheat" and go with the faux stitching. Great cards!

Paula said...

Now that is a twist...getting out the sewing machine for a card!

Summerthyme Studio said...

Good going with the sewing.....It takes just a little practice and soon you will find yourself Zig zagging with a level of ease!!!!

Sweet sweet card!!!!!

Have a great day Heather!

Vicki

Heather "Hev" said...

I love this card Heather!

Too much yellow?? Nah love it!
As for the sewing if you hadnt mentioned it I wouldve just assumed you had done it a little different for artistic contrast.

Have a lovely day!

Susan said...

Not too bad for your first time sewing! Keep at it. At least you've tried it! I've been too scared, but it's my challenge for the month is sewing on paper. You inspire me! Your coloring is great and I love the mixture of colors. Just beautiful together!

Sorry to hear you're not feeling too well. Get some rest and take care of yourself for those beautiful babies!

Hugs to you,

Susan

Emily said...

Seeew cute, I love it.....

Tina said...

Super cute, what an adorable image.

Janna said...

Oh, Heather, I am so sorry to hear that you don't feel well! I had no idea! Well I will definitely be thinking of you and sending you healthy thoughts. This card is so cute!!! I love the colors and coloring, they are fantastic! And the stitching is the perfect tough!! Wonderful job! I know what you mean about the sewing. I bought mine and then waited for my mother to come visit me so she could show me how to wind a bobbin and thread the silly thing. Of course after she left I completely forgot what she taught me and had to read through the manual to figure it out. I still can't sew a straight line so I always try to make it extra crooked so it looks like I did it on purpose!

Lots of smiles and hugs!
Janna

Danni said...

Feel better!!
Cute card and sometimes I do my sewing crooked so I don't have to worry about it!
Hugs!

Emily said...

Soooo cute, I think she is sooo adorable.

Jami {sgtStamper} said...

Your sewing looks great!! These images are so sweet!! I love them! Sorry about the stomach flu...hope you're feeling better!!
hugs, Jami

the whimsical butterfly said...

You are much braver than I LOL! I don't sew...only webkinz when they rip and it's DEFINITELY not straight ha ha ha. Beautiful card and Sarah Kay image...I love it! Oh, and btw, you should know that my 6 year old son Nicky just commented on Willow's pic and said "who is she, Mom? She's pretty". UH OH!!!!!!!!