Friday, November 21, 2008

Thank You for Our Freedom! - A Lily and Billy in Camouflage Card

Lily and Billy as Soldiers!
.......
........
So I can not sleep for some reason tonight, so I decided to get up and finish a card I worked on most of the day yesterday. It was most of the day because I would work on it for a minute here and there and then have to put it down while I did something with the kids. I never really got much time to actually work on it while they were awake! Hubby is out of town for 3 days and I had Piper home sick from first grade, and Willow home sick from Pre-School, and Tucker is just a full time job in himself trying to keep him out of everything! He is 16 months old and into everything!!!!!
.......
I have met two really special friends thru Stamping and blogging. I have had the wonderful opportunity to communicate with them thru blog comments and e-mail and they are both just really great gals! I made this card for Jami (sgt stamper), but I want to make another one for Kristin too. Jami and her family are living over in Korea right now and her husband is a Soldier there. Jami used to be a soldier herself. Jami brightens my day every day with the sweet comments she leaves on every post I do. She is the only person until lately that actually came to my blog on a daily basis, and left comments other than my friends and family. I can not tell you how much that means to me!!!!! Kristin is in the Air Force and stationed in Alexandria VA. right now. We lived there twice when my Dad worked at the Pentagon. Two years ago when Marvin and I went to D.C. for a week for business we went to Alexandria and visited the houses I lived in as a child. I learned how to ride a bike there one Christmas morning! I show cased one of Kristin's cards in a post once before on here.
.......
Last week when I was at Hobby Lobby I found some really cool Camouflage ribbon and I immediately thought of Jami and had to get it for her. To go with it I found this ribbon in Camo colors but with wonderful cream and black swirls thru it. Then in the wedding section I actually found some Army Green Organza ribbon. Last night I had a brainstorm to make my Lily and Billy Pink Cat Studio stamps and make them into Soldiers so I could send Jami a card along with her ribbon! I think they looked so cute as Soldiers!
.......
I was also inspired to make this card because I have been thinking about my Dad a lot lately. He died when I was 13, but he was a Soldier for 16 years, and then worked as a Civilian and
Anti-Terrorist for the Government for the rest of his life. So I grew up as an Army Brat, and moved 31 times by the time I was 13! We were living in Hawaii and he was working for the Navy when he died. I recently received all the letters he wrote home from the time he joined the Military when he was barely 18 yrs old until the end of Vietnam. When I first got the letters I could not open them and now I am slowly reading thru them. So anyway this card was also inspired from him!
.......
I started out by researching Camouflage on the Internet to figure out how to color it. I decided on the new ACU colors that are like Basic Gray, Going Gray, and Sahara Sand. Then when I got the ribbon out I remembered it was more the old Brown, Green, Tan, and Black Cammo colors and I decided to go back to the old Cammo colors for the card. I found these pictures for my cammo inspiration.
.......
......
So the pictures above were the inspiration I found to make my own cammo pattern, and here is what I came up with.
.......
I used Close to Co Co for my background, and then took Chocolate Chip, and Always Artichoke for the Camouflage Spots I drew and then cut out. I knew I was going to mount this piece onto Kiwi Kiss Card stock when I was done creating the camouflage. So above is Lily on Always Artichoke and I used the ribbon with the pretty swirls all thru it on the camo colors and I glued that onto a strip of the Army Green Organza ribbon. For Lily's pants and boots I used the bottom half of the Astronaut outfit stamp from Lily and Billy Accessories stamps, for her jacket I used the Painters Shirt from the Accessories set. For Billy I just kept the shirt he has on in his stamp, and then added the astronaut pants and boots.
To the side you can see my hand written sentiment. I punched out two of the SU Key Tag punches because they look like dog tags and I punched a Small hole in them with my Crop-a-Dile and then hung them from the top of the card with twine. I was wishing I had some silver twine to match a dog tag necklace, but the twine worked O.K. I think????
.......
The Sentiment says Thank You for Our Freedom and for your Service, Dedication, and Sacrifice!
.......
Here is the final card. I just love that Satin Camo ribbon it is sooooo soft and thick and double sided too! ....... I was excited how the card turned out you have to let me know what you think!!!!!!
........
So now I am tired and better try to get a few hours of sleep before the day starts again!!!
.......
I hope you have a Stampendous Day!
.......
Heather

21 comments:

Emily said...

very creative....I know they'll love them

Jami {sgtStamper} said...

Oh my gosh Heather, I was just heading off to bed when I saw this. I am so touched by this!! Lily & Billy look so cute in their camo, and that ribbon is way cool!!! I just love this to pieces!!!
Big hugs!
Jami

Tasha Hickert said...

It turned out really good! I like the camo a lot!

StampinCathy said...

OMGosh!!! This is just to stinkin cute. You are so creative and inspiing. YOU ROCK!

Liz :) said...

Cute! I can't believe you moved so much as an Army brat. I was the first in all my family to join the Active Army, first and only female in my extended family to join as well. It was an experience I would do over and over again, but in 8 years I only moved 4 times so I was lucky I guess but I would have loved to travel more. Unfortunately the military doesn't pay Soldiers enough money to put their life on the line so I had to get out, but I work on an Air Force base and still support all our Soldiers! Thanks for supporting them as well. It's really great to have someone tell you they appreciate you, so I'm sure your friends will love the cards and be overwhelmed by your thoughts!

Kathryn said...

OMGosh -- this is TOOOOOOOOO CUTE!!!
You did a fabulous job with the camoflauge. (sp??)
Love it so much!!!

I hope your family gets to feeling better soon!

Take care
Kathryn H

Melissa said...

This is fabulous Heather! Great job on the camo and I love the dog tags!

Tanya said...

Super cute and what a great idea!!! I love that you made your own camo print!

Paula said...

Good job!

Cheryl Lynn Hirzel said...

Cute, cute, cute cards! I am thankful for the past & present military and all they and their families must sacrifice for the freedoms I hold dear. May we never take them for granted.

Rhonda Langley said...

Love the handmade camo paper!! That ribbon is inspiration! Great tribute!

Cheri Howard said...

This card is just TOO CUTE, Heather! I think Jami is going to flip over your card!

CREATE=FUN said...

how cute!
great work.

Allison said...

Super cute! Love the home-made camo.

Erin... said...

What a clever idea!! That's yummy ribbon and the dog tags are so creative! greatjob!

Kristin Bueter said...

Heather...this card turned out great! You have a wonderful eye for detail (with the cammo, dog tags, Billy's tee shirt with BDU pants...). I'm not one who wears my emotions on my sleeve, but commitment to our country and expressing it or being thanked for it in any way, ALWAYS chokes me up. Maybe because I take it very seriously. Just thinking about the papers I signed when I joined the Air Force swearing to sacrifice my life for my country puts a lump in my throat. Thank you for honoring Jami and me, and every Soldier, Airman, Marine, and Sailor. It means a lot.

Paula said...

Heather....I've tagged you again Come on over and check it out

Helena said...

This is really clever! I love the camo effect! Brilliant!!

Jennifer Scull said...

I'm sure that they will be truly touched by your kindness and creativity when they receive this!

nicky w. said...

This card is so precious!!!

Danni said...

This is so creative and so totally cute!! Love it!!
Thanks for the wonderful comments on my blog and glad I found your blog as well!!