Friday, November 7, 2008

Super Cool Square Fold Up Book Tutorial

Hello All,
.......
Today I am going to give you a tutorial on a Project I taught my Stampers Club last year around this time of year. It is a supper Cool Fold up Book. You could make them For Birthday gifts, Brag Books, Picture Books, there are many Possibilities!
.......
In Picture 1 we have what the Book looks like Closed. I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a sheet of Foam Board and cut it in Many Pieces of 4 1/2" x 4 1/2". I took two different Fall/Halloween Pat Papers and glued them on the front and back on the inside
Pictures 2 and 3 show the book fully extended. I will show you later how to fold the pages, but on each 8 1/2" x 8 1/2" page you will have 4 triangles, and 2 squares. I stamp on one of the triangles, and put Patterned paper on one of the triangles. This gives you the ability to put smaller Pictures on 2 of the Triangles, and larger pictures on the 2 squares.
......
....
Here in these Pictures you can see the patterned Paper and the stamps and how the book folds up. I will warn you the very first time you go to fold the book up it does not go very easy. You have to train it, and then it goes like a slinky every time after that. It is actually is kind of fun to open and shut it the way it folds down so slick and fun like!
....
.......
I wish I had the book I completed to show you, but I gave it away as a gift. I took Fall and Halloween, and Pumpkin Patch Pictures from the past 5 Fall/Halloween's and put them throughout the book so my Mother In Law had Pictures of Piper as a Baby, then Piper and Willow as a baby, then Piper and Willow when they were 2 and 4 years old, and then last year Piper, Willow and Tucker as a baby. You really can get a lot of pictures in here along with the stamps and patterned paper as decorations. You can leave out the stamping and PP, but I think it really looks plane without them!
.......
...
So here is the book starting to fold up you can see it fitting together all the pages to collapse down into a square.
...
....
This page and the one below I took pictures of to give you an idea how it all goes together. On the Frankenstein page particularly look at the top square, you can see where it is glued down to the next square.
....
So you take the pages and lay them out diagonally and glue the corner square from one page completely over the corner square from the next page. You can see on the Frankenstein stamped page where the corner is glued over the page below it. I did a 7 page book. It has to be an odd number of pages you can not do an even number or it will not glue and fold down together.
....

I used the Paper Cutter Ruler to show you it is 8 1/2" x 8 1/2" I did those dimensions so that you only had to cut each 8 1/2" x 11" piece once. This is the one time I am going to encourage you not to use SU Whisper White CS. Simply because it is such high quality and sooo thick that it is hard to fold it down the way it needs to. I did my first book with it, and then switched to the cheap Hobby Lobby 50 pack, but then I could not stamp on it as nice as SU Whisper White, however the folding is more important than the stamping on this book!

.......

So you take your Square page and fold it on the diagonal. Score Well!

.....

Open it back up and then fold in half the long way one way. You can see where the diagonal fold is in the picture above.

......

Now Open it back up again and fold in half the long way the other way. See the diagonal and now the first 1/2 fold in the picture above.

.....

Now this is hard to tell but the picture above is folded in half and in half again and now it is a 4 1/2" x 4 1/2" square

.... When it is opened up you can see how it looks above. You can see how it will fold down so easily into a little book, and you can see how the square of one piece gets folded onto the square of the next piece.

...

So Once again here is what it looks like completely open stamped and patterned paper added, but no pictures in it yet. I cut the patterned paper to 4 1/2" x 4 1/2" and then cut on the diagonal then glue in on one of the triangles in the book. I stamp on the opposite triangle as the PP is on, if that makes sense to you???

.......

Please feel free to comment or e-mail me if you have any questions!

.......

Heather

6 comments:

Regina said...

Oh, Heather, this is great!

Jami {sgtStamper} said...

How cool is this!! I'll have to come back and give this a try!! Thanks!
hugs, jami

Katie @ Paper Makeup said...

fun tutorial! I'll have to try this out!

Kristin Bueter said...

Awesome tutorial, Heather! I have a TON of these books that I bought at a craft fair one year, but I never thought about making them. I just might now...

Thanks!

Ashley said...

This is adorable! Thanks for sharing!

Bailey said...

These are perfect gift choices for kids.