Monday, October 13, 2008

My Design for Really Cute Holiday Ornaments made with Scallop Circle Punch

The Inspiration for my Design Here is the Picture of the Ornament I liked from the current Holiday Mini Catalog.
I have been in love with these super cute Ornaments in the New SU Holiday Mini Catalog.
......
You can buy the Kit to make them or you can buy the die for our New Big Shot Die Cut Machine to make them too.
......
Pictures of the 3 Sizes of Ornaments I designed using the Scallop Circle Punch
Today I saw out of the corner of my eye an ornament made like them with what looked like the Scallop Circle Punch. The Ornaments in the Mini, and the Die Cut are circles with folded triangles inside of them folded and glued together to make these cute Holiday Balls. Below I have a small tutorial on how to make the Triangle folds inside the circle by Hand.
The Above Picture is all 3 sizes I made hanging from the top. I just took some SU ribbon snailed the ends of it and in between the ends and glued the ribbon inside the tops of each ornament
Here are all three sizes sitting on the paper.
To the left is the Medium Size, in the Middle is the Large size, and on the right is smallest size Ornaments.
The left Ornament is the medium size, and the one on the right is the largest one sitting inside some glue dots on a roll.
.......
I wanted to try out the Scallop Circle thing as I always love to find yet another way to use my Punches. I was going to get online tonight to see how she did it, but Marvin was using the Internet so I had to make my own design to do the Ornament.
.......
Small Size Ornament Pictures
I take the Scallop Circle Punch and Punch out 2 different Pattern Papers 4 punches of each to make the smallest Ornament.

The Smallest Ornament ends up being almost oval in shape. It has only 8 of the Scallop Circle Punches used to make it. I used 2 of the plaid, and 2 of the trees on both top and bottom of the Ornament.

.......

Medium Sized Ornament Pictures
I took the Scallop Circle and Punched out 10 punches 2 Real Red, 2 Glorious Green, and 3 each of both Patterns of Paper to make the medium Ornament.

Here is a picture of the medium size Ornament. I used 10 punches to make it. It is a Circle shape and stands on its own where the oval lays on it's side if not hanging from something. This picture shows you how 5 punches are on top, and 5 on bottom of the Ornament.

Large Sized Ornament Pictures
I used the Scallop Circle Punch and punched out 20 punches 5 Real Red, 5 Glorious Green, and 5 each of the two Patterns to make the largest Ornament.

Here is a picture of the Largest Ornament hanging. It stands on it's own as well, and is in between a circle shape and an oval shape.

Here is a view of the largest Ornament sitting in a roll of glue dots.

Tutorial

Take your Scallop Circle and punch out 1 punch. Start the folding by folding 4 of the scallops up into the center of the circle. Patterned side up.

Now do both sides of the Triangle, by folding up 5 of the scallops into the middle of the circle. Do this on both sides. Once you have done all 3 folds you have a triangle as below.

The stages of folding are shown above. The Tree pattern I folded and then unfolded so you can see what it looks like in the middle.

Here are all the punches I used to make the largest Circle after they were all folded. I just started gluing (I used the snail on 2 of the Ornaments and Glue dots on 1 of the ornaments to see which one worked best. They both work well, but I think the snail went the fastest. I just started gluing one of the 5 scallops side of the triangle to the next piece 5 scallop side. I did this until all 5 of my top pieces were attached for the Medium size Ornament, then I snailed the bottom of the triangles and attached the bottoms (4 scallops) of the next level of punches to the top level of punches. Then I added to each side the 5 scallops sides again and finished off the Ornament. It really went pretty fast!

Here is what it looked like after all the 5 scallop sides were glued, and before I started adding the 2nd level of the Ornament by gluing the 4 scallops sides of the triangle bottom of triangle to bottom of triangle.

.......

I hope you enjoy the Design of the Punched Ornaments!

.....

Until next time!

......

Heather

7 comments:

Regina said...

This is so cute! I will like to try it myself. Thanks for sharing.

Jami {sgtStamper} said...

I love this with the scallop punch!! They look like they go together pretty quick too...I'll have to try this out!
hugs, Jami

Carolyn King said...

AWESOME ornaments! love the paper you selected. They turned out great!

Stephanie said...

I like those!! I'm going to have to try them when i have some free time during nap time! LOL

Kristin Bueter said...

Awesome tutorial, Heather! Thanks for taking the time to photograph and share with us :O) I've seen the ornaments before, but haven't made any yet. I might just have to give it a try!

Here is the link to the swap.

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361915&page=9

Scroll all the way down on the page that opens and you should see the details with the list of gals who agreed to participate. I'm excited to take part! Not too confident about my 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 cards yet, but I'm getting ready to post them to see what people think (before I make five of them :O). Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog! I missed you this week! Welcome back :O)

Tanya said...

These are really cute! I would not have thought to do that! i was going to tell you how I did an ornament with the scallop circle punch, but you've already done it as I kept reading....your apples and pumpkins are put together the way I did my ornament. :) So many clever ideas!

COCO said...

wo is very wonderful !!!! i love it !!!it 's very fab!!!!