Saturday, October 18, 2008

A Birthday Card for my Husband - 2 Road Trips today, and the Pumpkin Patch

How excited was I to see that his Card also met the Sketch Challenge for the Sketch Saturday Blog Challenge (see purple link to the right). It must have been ESP or somthing since I created it Friday night!
.......
Hi All,
.......
Today was a very busy day. It was my Husband's 35th Birthday. It is hard to believe that. I remember when I was in Nursing School and getting ready to graduate. I remember thinking when I have been a Nurse for 10 years I will be 33 years old. That is so far away though!
.......
Well in May I was out of Nursing School for 10 years, and yes much as I hate to admit it I am 33 years old now. It all goes by so fast!
.......
Today we took the kids to this Wonderful Pumpkin Patch that is about 40 min away. They have so many cool activities for the kids to do. I would say there is about 20 different things to do, and they are all included in the admission price. We always go out there to eat. They have a neat "Pumpkin Patch" dinning area. Then we do all the fun stuff which takes about 3 to 4 hours to do. So we drove almost an hour in one direction, and then stopped at home for about 40 min, then reloaded and headed out to Salina Kansas to see My Husbands younger brother, his wife, and kids, and Marvin's parents who were visiting for the day as well. They had a little birthday dinner for Marvin and the kids all go to play.
.......
Marvin has a Brother 2 years older, and one 2 years Younger. Between the 3 of our families there are 8 grand kids. Piper is the oldest at 6, and Willow is the next oldest at 4. That means there are 7 grand kids 4 and under! Better than when it was 7 grand kids 3 and under for about 5 months this year! Needless to say when we are all together it is hectic, and loud, and there are never enough places to stick all the kids for Nap time! The kids are all lucky to have so many cousins their age though! Anyway Mark and Karla just moved to Salina from Omaha Neb. about 10 days ago, and we had not seen their house yet. So we got to do that too. All in all we had to drive about 4 hours today just going 40 min to 1 hour away from home! :-)
.......
The Card
Here is a cropped view of just the Stamping Part of the Card. SU's Happy Camper stamp set.
.......

I made this card for Marvin's Birthday today. I also made it for the Split Coast Stampers Limited Supplies Friday Challenge (read more about that later), I used my SU Happy Camper Set. I used this set for several reasons.

.......

  1. Marvin has been talking for awhile now about wanting to get a Camper, I am not sure why we have never been camping together, but he would like to start!
  2. A few years ago Marvin went to a Bachelor Party it was a Camp Out Bachelor Party to Boot. He fell asleep close to the fire, and his steal towed work boots got to hot and melted to his foot. He had a really bad burn, and experienced quite a bit of pain from it. He never did go to the Dr., but for months he treated that burn himself! I had to have this set because of the boot in it. Every time I see that boot it reminds me of his now funny experience with the boot, bachelor party, and burn.
  3. I can always use a more Masculine set to do Men's B-Day cards with
  4. My good friend and down line Emily and her family Camp Out every weekend all summer, and I know some time I will want this set to make cards for that, or scrapbook pictures if we ever make it out there to spend time with them there. (maybe next year???)

.......

Recipe:

So I used the Happy Camper Set. I took Whisper White paper and stamped the Camper and trees on it. I water colored the background with my Aqua Painters, and then on a separate piece of paper stamped the boot twice, and the sleeping bag.

This week for the SCS Limited Supply Challenge, you had to use the Color Blue as the main color, you could use only 1 piece of Patterned Paper, Card Stock, Stamps, and the only Embellishments you could use were Eyelets, and one kind of Ribbon. This Challenge kind of gets you back to the Basics!

.......

Now 8 years ago when I started getting some supplies to scrap book and stamp my good friend Wendy introduced me to designer eyelets. I do not remember the site name or anything about it, but there was this site you could go and order a million different kids of Eyelets. Any Color, Theme, shape your heart might desire. I had ordered some of these eyelets that were shaped like presents. I got them out for this card because they fit the Birthday Theme, and I had some that were blue! I also used a couple of dark blue Heart Shaped eyelets on the edges of the Patterned Paper to signify my love for him.

.......

For my one Ribbon I choose Twine. I was going to use more of it on another part of the card, but once the card came together I felt this was enough. I used it only to make the straps on the sleeping bag which in turn made the sleeping bag more 3-D in appearance!

.......

The Paper. I used the Whisper White to Stamp on, and then Water Color on. I really, really wanted to emboss that Camper in Silver, but I decided since it was Limited Supplies I would not do it. Nothing said I could not in the challenge instructions, but I figured that if I did not emboss it, it would help it to be even more limited! I used some of my SU Azure Patterned Paper, Along with the Brilliant Blue, and the Night of Navy Card Base. I distressed the edges of the 2nd Whisper White Layer with Ballet Blue, and Brilliant Blue Ink. All supplies except for the Eyelets on this card are SU Supplies.

.......

I think that covers it all, if you have any questions feel free to comment, or e-mail me and I will be glad to help you!

.......

Well it is off to bed now so I can get up and ready for Church in the morning. We have to teach the 3 year old SS class, and then go to our own class after that.

.......

I will be back tomorrow to add some pictures of the Pumpkin Patch and the Kids for you to see. Have a Great Day!

.......

Heather

7 comments:

Paula said...

A cute card....You guys camping would be a site to see. Bet Marvin will take the kids and mommy stays home. Tell him I wish him a very happy Birthday I forgot....35 wow closer to 40 every day

Anonymous said...

A great male card Stampin up Australian Catalogue dont have many masculine sets maybe we may get this one one day.

Jo said...

Hello Heather, thank you so much for stopping by my blog and WOW! for also taking part in the sketch saturday challenge this week.
This is a fabulous card!
We LOVE camping! great fun! although we don't have a camper, we use our tent, but it's more like a bungalow as its huge! lol
Your card captures the fun of camping.
Happy birthay to your hubby! hope he had a lovely day.
Best Wishes, Jo xx

COCO said...

very cute card !!!!
thanks for your visit in my blog !!!!

Jeanette said...

A gorgeous take on the sketch! Hugs Jeanette

tracie said...

oh what a great crd Heather, love the stamp and sounds appropriate for his birthday - gorgeous work.
Thanks for stopping by my blog and yoiur lovely comments, and thanks for joining us this week at SS :)x

Mariska said...

Hi Heather,

Great card and love your story about it.... although it must have been real painful to have your shoes melt to your feet like that :S. I wish we could go to a pumpkin patch... I have read a couple of stories about it and seen a lot of scrapbook pages about it in magazines and it looks amazing. But that's something your parents in law won't be able to visit while they are here :). Foreign people love going to the tulip fields and stuff though... I lived between them until a year ago and I didn't even see them anymore :). I hope your husband has had an amazing birthday and you parents will have a lovely stay while they are here. Has your mother in law actually lived here or was she born in the US? The stamps you asked about are from a company named Whiff of Joy (www.whiffofjoy.com). It's a reasonably new company from Switzerland and they sell the most adorable stamps. They do ship international I believe but they also sell through All That Scraps I've noticed so perhaps that would be a cheaper option for you, I'm not sure.

Have a great day! And thank you for joining us at Sketch Saturday again (even though you'd already made the card :) ).

xxx
Mariska